click here for more information.
Let me tell you about my passion to help the Maru-a-Pula Bursary fund. Founded in 1972 Maru-a-Pula is a world-class, non-racial, education school in Botswana. They currently offer 28 scholarships to orphans and vulnerable children, aiming for 60 scholarships by 2014. Not only do they pay the school fees but feed, clothe and pay for medical aid for each child. You have to understand here in Botswana poverty is bad enough but cripple it with AIDS and we have horror on these poor kids lives, MAP blends them in to "regular middle class" society and you would never know they were orphaned unless told so. MAP has such a wonderful scholastic record that these kids can get scholarships and bursary's to the BEST Universities in the world. GO MAP.
What does this have to do with Quilting?
Well.....I always assume the beginning of the year will be slow, again I am wrong.
- Jan 14th my birthday
- Jan 26th my daughters 8th birthday (my Moon)
- Jan 31st my sons 11 birthday (my Sun)
- Feb 4th we have a family fun day to kick of MAPs 40th birthday celebration. Of course there will be a craft/art fair and 10% of the sales go to the fund as well as a lovely quilt for the auction.
- Feb 18th is the opening of the new wing of the MAP library where my HUGE 3 meter by 5 meter quilt hangs. I cant wait to see it up (tomorrow I hope)
- March 3rd my Botswana exhibition in conjunction with Fiber Arts Revolution (USA) So much to do for this I feel exhausted just thinking of it. Kgosi Tau or King Lion is one of my new pieces, I have decided to do a set of portraits this year. Lion, Elephant, Zebra, San bushman lady, Herero lady etc. All started around mid Jan as I first had to restock my store from Christmas (at least get something up on the walls hahaha)