Friday, June 15, 2012

New store at Kgale View Shopping Mall

Well we have done it...WE ARE OPEN. What an experience opening a shop like this in Botswana. Full of fun and many painful sleepless nights. Getting a license...WOW now there is a challenge for anyone let alone someone who faints at the sight of paperwork. The wait alone will tear you to shreds. I had booked the Health inspector to come in on a Tuesday, plenty of time to get the paper work in by Wednesday afternoon. Now keep in mind, in Botswana you have to be mostly in your new store before he can come, this means first and last months rent, construction, moving costs etc before you even know if you will for sure get your license (have not heard of anyone not getting it but I have heard of 4 week delays.) Well he arrived on Thursday morning, too late to get the papers in that week which meant SEVEN more days closed (Rent, security, insurance and salaries must be paid with or without license) This Thursday I went before the board and with my wit and charm talked my way through 18 grueling minuets which felt like an hour of questions. I though I would leave knowing the result but NO, another restless night and Friday morning we called in and YAYAYA WE ARE OPEN :):):) I must lay more respect on my wit and charm from now on. Well here are some pictures of our new space which is 3 times bigger than the old one. BTW The health inspection for my kind of store entails 1. Do you have bathrooms? YES 2. Do you have Band aids? YES
Puni's Dolls
Setting up the fabric wall
Baby corner with baby quilts, slings, balls and stuffed Zebra and Giraffes

My favorite the thread Baobab tree hanging upside down from the ceiling with fairy lights :)

Within moments we had guests. Me with my back to the camera of course (sly Marlie taking pictures without me knowing haha)

View from outside between the coffee shop and KQ

Wow this space is HUGE...lots of room for expansion

 Our new range of T-shirts with some of our quilts on them. Coffee mugs (good big ones) with our new phrase "No Matatta Sew Easy. Kalahari Quilts (No Matatta means no problem :))


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you!
    http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/06/church-windows-quilt-block.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so happy for you!!!

    How much for a t-shirt, how much to ship to America? Do you even have pay pal, or how would I pay for it?

    I want to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, conratulations! I did see you moved in, but was in a too much of a rush to spare a moment to come inside. I'll definitely make time to come and look around properly. The pictures are a great preview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is great news!! Shame we are back in Australia, we did see some quilt shops in JoBurg, bit this is fantastic. Will visit you next year! Hope you do well, Bots can do with something like this. Cheers Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Its great to hear there is a quilt store after all in Botswana, sorry we missed visiting, we have just returned home to Australia after a very enjoyable holiday there. Keep up the good work and all the very best. Jenny

    ReplyDelete