Sunday, July 17, 2011

Batik stars

I have chosen this quilt to walk through with the processes and thoughts unique to quilting in Botswana. The first thing that comes to mind is that I do a lot of sewing and dream of having a nice Burnina quilting machine. Two problems on this front. Firstly there is no one in Botswana that can fix one anyway. There are ways around this, friends go back and forth to South Africa and I know they would take it, I just hate asking friends for favors. Secondly I am a widowed mother of two lovely kids so the expense is above what I can do. Singer is well known here so I stick with my old and faithful. She has never let me down but does not have the fancy stuff you will see in other blogs about quilters. Here it is good old fashioned sewing for now :)



This quilt will have stars of different colours in bands of bright batik sashing. I just cant decide which center I like, I think I am going for the middle one. The top one is nice but looks like ears of a star. The bottom one I think is just to fussy. I liked the idea originally of the different colour for the center but when I see it I think in the whole quilt it will look messy. So middle it is. Off to sew more while I watch some Boston Legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment